Thursday, February 4, 2010

Insight on the newcomers

Here are some snippets of what a few of JSU’s football signees told their local media about their decision to sign with the Gamecocks:

Navarre defensive lineman ARMANI WILLIAMS had planned to sign with Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but he told the Crestview (Fla.) News Bulletin he was happy when the Gamecocks called him back.

“I had hoped they would (offer) but they waited,” Williams said. “I had told myself I was going to Pine Bluff and I was okay with that … but the big difference is my whole dream was to play top-notch, championship football and when I got to Jacksonville State, it was a no-brainer at the end of the day.”

Williams had 55 tackles last season with four forced fumbles, one recovery and four sacks. What you don’t know about him is he’s a multi-talented kid. The timing of his recruiting visit was impacted by a commitment to compete in a state choral competition.

The spot for Williams opened when one of the Gamecocks' OL prospects signed with Baylor at the last minute. That was one of three they lost to the Big 12, Conference USA or the MAC in the closing days of the process.

Hartselle lineman CHAD HAMPTON is following a family legacy to JSU. His father, Mack, played for the Gamecocks in 1979-83. Though an offensive lineman in high school, he’s projected as a defensive lineman in college and told the Decatur Daily, “I like playing offensive line, but I like to just go out there and hit somebody instead of doing the same thing over and over.”

PIERRE WARREN played several positions at Marbury, but is projected as a receiver at JSU. He only played four games before suffering a season-ending injury, but told the Montgomery Advertiser, "I thought I could play, and I'm glad I've got somewhere to keep playing.”

Hillcrest center MAX HOLCOMBE told the Tuscaloosa News, “They have the potential to be a great football team. It’s going to be real fun, the next chapter in my life. I’m ready to get to it. The coaches, the facilities, their weight room, everything was real nice.”

The paper reported the JSU coaches told Holcombe they’d like him to report at 275. He’s currently 262.

No comments: