Sunday, September 23, 2007

The buck stops here

The buck stops somewhere and at least for the foreseeable future with the Jacksonville State football team, it’s stopping with head coach Jack Crowe.

The era of waiting for things to happen is over. Patience is done. All the critical decisions now will go through Crowe, starting with the prep for Saturday’s game at Murray State (1-3, 0-1 OVC).

"After getting hit in the head, I finally realized we’re not a very well coached football team," Crowe said Sunday, a day after the Gamecocks (1-3, 0-1) fell to Eastern Kentucky. "The things that just don’t happen to good football teams are getting longer and longer. I think there’s improvement now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we’re going the wrong way, but I don’t think we’re going the right way fast enough."

No coach is losing their job and nobody is having his responsibility changed; offensive coordinator Ronnie Letson moved upstairs to the press box last week because of the quarterback change. But Crowe now will be handling the practice schedule, approach to the game plan and decisions on who goes on the field.

"I think a lot of folks on this team need my help," Crowe said. "I hope they’re willing to take it."

Read more about this development in Monday’s edition of the Star.

No comments: