Sunday, January 11, 2009

Best finish for Willett

The tournament is over and former JSU golfer Danny Willett finished tied for fourth in the Joburg Open, the best finish in his young European Tour career.

The former world No. 1 amateur birdied 17 and 18 to shoot 68 in the final round at the Royal Johannesburg and Kensington GC and finish in a three-way tie for fourth in the European Tour/Sunshine Tour event, three shots behind winner Anders Hensen.

Willett earned 46,126 euros (and change). He is now 42nd on the European Tour Race to Dubai, that tour’s version of the FedEx Cup.

“Yeah, it was a good finish,” Willett said. “I turned in one over and not really playing very good and then tried to get it going on the back nine. I had a really good finish then down 17 and 18, so yeah, I’m quite happy.

“A top five this week gets me into next week at Abu Dhabi, which I wouldn’t have got in otherwise. I’m just trying to play well this year, keep plodding along and hopefully keep my card, so we’ll see what happens.”

No comments: